Monday, March 20, 2006

On the List for the New MS4 General Permit
My hometown of Cambridge (pop: 5,520 in 2000 census) made the list of cities with a population between 5,000 and 10,000 that need to get coverage under the MPCA's new MS4 General Permit. I haven't been active in local politics, but I imagine my city planner/engineer is going to be busy trying to meet its requirements by Feb. 2007.

Rum River Copyright © 2002 Cambridge Area Chamber of Commerce

Cambridge is one of several cities that hosts the 'wild and scenic' Rum River. Even though it's a relatively small city--because it's located on an 'outstanding resource value water', city managers are going to have to meet some of the same stormwater management challenges faced by larger, urbanized areas like St. Cloud, Rochester and Moorhead.

It was Minnesota Rule 7090, put in effect Aug. 2005, that finally wrapped my hometown (and maybe yours) under the federally mandated water-protection rules.

When I get a chance, I'll try to outline some of the things smaller, previously unpermitted cities are going to need to do by next February.

No comments: